NIGERIA: Christian farmer gives his life to save family
Despite international and domestic condemnation of violence by militant Fulani herdsmen the death toll of Christians in northern Nigeria continues to rise, seemingly unabated.
Nearly 40 Christians have now been killed in Nigeria’s northern Kaduna state this month.
Please pray for all those who have lost loved ones or have been injured or displaced in these latest attacks.
Most recently a 16-year-old girl, a father of nine and a church pastor were reported to have been among 11 Christians killed last week.
On Tuesday in Zangon Kataf County, herdsmen killed a 16-year-old student, Takama Paul, and another Christian, 30-year-old Kefas Malachy Bobai, a father of three children, Luka Binniyat of the Southern Kaduna People’s Union (Sokapu) said.
‘Armed Fulani militia invaded Unguwan Gankon village in Gora Ward, Zangon Kataf LGA, (Local Government Area) and killed two persons and burned seven houses,’ Binniyat said in a press statement.
On Monday (August 17) in Kajuru County, Binniyat said, militant herdsmen killed a Christian farmer and father of nine, Bulus Joseph, aged 48. His wife and three of his children were also attacked but survived, Binniyat said.
‘Bulus Joseph was murdered gruesomely on his farm at Sabon Gida Idon, along the Kaduna-Kachia road, by armed Fulani militia,’ Binniyat said. ‘He stood up to the killers so that his wife and three children could escape, which they did. But he paid the price with his life.’
Four Christians killed in an attack on a vehicle on Sunday, August 16, included a pastor with the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA), according to Sokapu.
These attacks follow the slaughter of 33 Christians in five villages in Zangon Kataf County earlier in the month.
Binnayat said that 50,000 Christians have been displaced from 109 villages now occupied by armed Fulani militants in southern Kaduna’s Kachia, Kajuru, Chikun and Kaura counties.
(Source: Morning Star News)
The appeal in Iran of pastor Victor Bet Tamraz (sentenced to ten years in prison) and his wife Shamiram Issavi Khabizeh (sentenced to five years in prison) has been denied.
After many postponements Pastor Victor was informed on July 19 that their appeal had been rejected.
However, both Victor and Shamiram are grateful they have been able to leave Iran and now live in a country where they feel safe.
Three long-standing cases were combined in a ruling by presiding judge Ahmed Zargar in February 2019, with the latest appeal scheduled for June 1. However, since the decision to combine the cases, every scheduled hearing has been postponed.
(Source: Middle East Concern)